45163 Restoration Group
Archived news from 2017
With all the structural work associated with the cylinders finished we have been able to complete
Running plate support angle now complete above the cylinders.
Running plate support brackets that attach to the cylinders now repaired and bolted in place
Our 40ft container had developed quite a few leaks in the roof in recent years and despite
Timber joists being bolted to the roof to create the fall for the new tin roof and the first few
Machining of new connecting rods now complete just the final polishing to finish.
New union links now complete, one is for 45163 and the other is for 45293.
Machining of the new coupling rods is progressing well with just the bores to finish off.
First slide bar machined and ready for fitting.
Expansion links all cleaned up and ready for going away for re-grinding, machining the
Test rig for testing the mechanical lubricator pumps can pump with sufficient pressure
Rear cylinder cover and cylinder relief valve now also fitted to the right hand cylinder.
One of the jobs on the right hand cylinder cover was to reface the area where the relief valve
Having mounted the left hand rear cylinder cover, which was new, we now turned our attention
The first cylinder cover now permanently fitted along with the cylinder relief valve. Starting the
It is with great sadness that we have to report that one of our early stalwarts of the group, Peter Marchant, passed away a few days ago. Peter was one of our most enthusiastic volunteers and made a massive contribution over many years particulalry during the period when we were constructing our shed. The above photos show Peter on the site in Castle Hedingham when we were dismantling the old Coal Merchants shed prior to transportation to the Colne Valley railway for modifcation and re-building as our restoration workshop. The second photo was taken during one of the several 45163 Restoration Group works outings on the canals which seems to have been a shared interest of many of us. Unfortunately Peter was no longer able to take an active part following a stroke several years ago but still followed our progress with interest. We will never forget the contribution you made Peter and our thoughts are with your family at this difficult time.
Exhaust manifolds in place showing the top faces that were machined when the cylinders
Exhaust manifolds now fitted to the cylinders inside the saddle.
New smokebox door now hung on its hinges and sealing fully to the door ring following some
This view shows one side roughed out complete with undersize holes to allowing clamping
This view shows the outline of the little end.
This rod which has been roughed out on the first side has had the finished outline of the
A close up view of the rod in the image below part way through the roughing out procedure.
Work has now started on machining the connecting rod forgings, this image shows one
One of the new blanking plates now fitted to the cylinders.
Two new blanking plates for the cylinders at various stages alongside one of the old ones where
After completion of the riveting we clamped the new door to the new smokebox for marking
The set up for riveting the door centre casting with an inventive use of old angle blocks
We have an old cast iron machine block that we used to support the door with strategically
Centre of new smokebox door is now drilled and the centre casting has been bolted
A new lamp bracket has been made for the smokebox door and it is now bolted to the new
This shows the cutter and tensioning nut and spring washer all fitted on the mandrel. A spanner
This is the equipment for the re-facing, a mandrel is screwed into the boss over which a cutter
This shows the boss on the opposite cylinder after re-facing.
The faces of the bosses where the lubrication non-return valves screw into the cylinders
We are now fitting new studs in preparation for starting to mount components on the cylinders.
Reaming the very last hole for a fitted bolt. Even right at the end there was a last couple
Smokebox removed from the frames to rivet the smokebox and door ring liners into place.
The new smokebox door now almost completely marked out and drilled, just the centre to drill