45163 Restoration Group
The new Ejector exhaust ring casting has now been machined.
Finally managed to track down and have machined the four feed oil tray that mounts in the
Another very successful work weekend just completed, we had nine vounteers turn up on
Neil making clips for lubrication pipework.
Phil making parts for cylinder cladding around the rear of the steam chest.
Malcolm removing insulation from a donated copper water tank for recycling.
The re-wound eletcric motor re-fitted to the facing lathe in readiness for machining axleboxes.
Robin wiring up the re-wound motor following it being mounted.
Tim re-fitting the guards to the belts on the facing lathe after the re-wound motor was fitted.
Toby continuing work on the wheelsets, filling, rubbing down and painting to get a good
John and Lawrence manipulating axleboxes for storage on a pallet until they can be machined.
One of the axleboxes following re-fitting of the crown and underkeep, now marked out from
One of the white metalled crowns now pressed back in the axlebox in preparation for maching.
Pressing one of the crowns back in an axlebox on the hydraulic press.
A cardboard cut out of an axlebox to help with working out how we are going to mount
In our continuing work towards re-wheeling, the last set of driving wheels has now been
Shot blasting the trailing wheel set, the last ones to require this treatment.
The machining of the axleboxes starts, here we are proof machining one of the thrust faces
The right trailing axlebox crown now white metalled ready to press back in the axlebox
One of the axlebox thrust faces white metalled with just a clean up required prior to pressing
Pouring the white metal into the chill for a thrust face on an axlebox, note the fire cement used
All six crowns now tinned, ready for casting the white metal onto them.
The last thrust face tinned and ready for mounting the chill and casting the white metal.
A set of new tyres has just been delivered for the tender wheels.
The rig for pushing the crowns out of the axleboxes.
First crown pressed out of one of the driving axleboxes, 5 more to go. These will be white
The white metalled face on an underkeep after the chill has been removed.
The chill has been filled with white metal, just waiting for it to cool enough to remove the chill.
Pouring the white metal. The hand coming in from the left with a stick is to puddle the
Preparing the molten white metal for pouring.
Pre-heating the underkeep so it is the same temperature as the molten white metal
White metalling the underkeeps, this shows the chill we made, clamped to the underkeep ready
New cladding piece for rear cylinder cover trial fitted before removing for painting.
New rear cylinder cover cladding section, the original, rather 'moth eaten', piece
The Driver's side main cylinder cladding section has now been able to be finally fitted
The new lasgging arrived so we've been able to finish lagging the Driver's side cylinder.
We,ve started lagging the driver's side cylinder now so that we can fit the
An underkeep showing the tinned face ready to receive white metal.
Brushing on some flux after tinning to leave a clean tinned surface.
Applying the tinning stick whilst heating to tin the surface to be white metalled.
Heating an underkeep for tinning in readiness to receive white metal.
Tapping one of the underkeeps for the oilfeed elbow. A collet in the mill is being
The centre driving wheels have their first coat of primer after being shotblasted.
The centre driving wheels undercover for the first time in many years after having been
The cocoon to contain the grit from shotblasting has been turned around to do the other
Shotblasting the first side of the centre driving wheels.
A small shelter erected around the centre driving wheels to try and contain the grit that we use.
Neil trying to get to grips with the lubrication pipe runs from the mechanical lubricator
A set of new drain plugs for the underkeeps has just been manufactured.
Machining the end of the underkeeps that go against the back of the wheels on the shaper.
Putting the grooves in the end of the underkeeps to key the white metal to the face.
Tapping the holes in the underkeeps for the drainplugs after having faced off the boss and drilled it.
New standoffs made for the front and rear cylinder covers to support the cylinder cover cladding.
Using the forming plates we made for flanging new sections of cylinder cover cladding.
This is a short section needed to weld into one of the sections of rear cylinder cover cladding
The new section of cylinder cladding on the left with the wasted section on the right prior
The new bit of cylinder cladding now welded to the original piece and ready for painting.
The leading set of driving wheels now being prepared for final painting in readiness for re-wheeling.
All the axlebox underkeeps now hand dressed and individually fitted to each axlebox.
Having made the cladding we had to make and fit the pipe from the steam chest to the
After a respite from cylinder cladding on the Fireman's side we have now made
Marking out some of the cutouts on the bottom edge of the main cylinder cladding panel.
A new bolt being manufactured for securing the Driver's side slidebars.
The Fireman's new cabside being marked out and drilled for the various
Cleaning up the axleboxes ready for hand fitting each of the freshly
New castings delivered today for the steam pipes that fit in the smokebox on the top of the